Tuesday 8 March 2011

In which the author devotes a post to pancakes and promises

IT'S PANCAKE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! ...ahem, well today was going to be the day I did a sensible post about equality (no, I'm not joking...), but then I decided that I probably need more time than I can afford tonight as I have to get up tomorrow for uni, and decided instead upon a quick post to celebrate a day that had almost passed me by!

So, perhaps a quick summary of the day? Just to make this post seem less last-minute? Wikipedia will show us the way... after all it is never wrong.
The word shrove is the past participle of the English verb to shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of confession and doing penance. Shrove Tuesday was the last day before the beginning of Lent on Ash Wednesday, and noted in histories dating back to 1000 AD. In the United Kingdom and many other countries, the day is often known as Pancake Day. Making and eating such foods was considered a last feast with ingredients such as sugar, fat and eggs, whose consumption was traditionally restricted during the ritual fasting associated with Lent. 
Nowadays however, pancake day is more a day to traditionally stick food substances to the ceiling and/or floor.

Pancake Recipie!!!! (well I couldn't waste an opportunity to fill up space huh?)
Ingredients:
  • 110g (4oz) plain flour
  • 1 egg
  • 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
  • optional pinch of salt
  • toppings!
Method:
1. To make the pancake batter, add the milk, egg and then the flour and blend using an electric blender or food processor. Or if a blender is not available, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the egg and beat well. Then add the milk gradually and beat to make a smooth batter.
2.Heat a little oil in a large frying pan until hot and then pour enough batter to thinly coat the base of the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes each side. FLIP IT, AND FLIP IT PROPERLY!!!! No half-arsed flips allowed. If it didn't almost hit the ceiling it's not a true pancake.
3. Serve sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice. Alternatively drizzle with golden syrup or jam. Or spread nutella on it... or, you know what, who am I to tell you how to eat your pancakes? Melt marshmallows and stick jelly babies on it for all I care! ...Actually that could be quite tasty... *ponders*

Alternative Method:
Just buy some ready mix and follow the packet instructions. Like I'll probably be doing.
 
HOWEVER!

The more pressing matter however is that I have not decided upon anything to give up over Lent! I've considered chocolate, but as anyone who's seen my room will tell you, Nutella addiction will not allow that. 

EVIDENCE: Yes they're all empty. These are the jars I have consumed in the last month and a half. By itself. That's roughly 1950g of Nutella. I do NOT want to think about how many calories that is, other than a LOT.

Tomato ketchup? BUT WHAT THEN WILL I DIP MY CHICKEN NUGGETS AND PIZZA IN? And considering nutella, chicken nuggets and pizza make up quite a large percentage of my diet (HOW am I not grossly overweight?) this just isn't a viable option. Besides, I've already cut down my ketchup intake - a bottle now lasts me longer than a week. I guess I could give up alcohol. BAH! Who am I kidding?! ...Facebook? As much as I'm sure that quitting this would be extremely good for my degree, it's also how I keep my sanity sometimes and chat with friends/organise outings etc... so I'm gonna reject that one, despite it's good intentions. I could give up all references to, and looking at pictures of Gaspard, but then I'd like there to remain some light in my sad little life. :P 

Come, share in my happiness ^_^
Ok, so after some thought I have some ideas:
  1. At least half an hour a day must be given over to exercise. Walking to and from places does not count.
  2. Give up Lolcats and all affiliated sites
  3. Do a good deed every day.
These I like. Exercise would certainly put me in a better mood, I waste half my life procrastinating on the Cheeseburger sites, and there's nothing wrong with a good deed a day. In fact, you know what? I'm going do them ALL. Yup, all of them. I'll report back on my progress and all my good deeds as Lent goes on. DEAL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact of the Day: You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV. ...but what if you're watching a horror film and keep jumping??

Random Image of the Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment